Friday, August 28, 2009

Lord...What's Next?

This past year, I have heard more stories of people suffering than I have at any other time in my life.  Even if this country wasn't in a recession right now (and I don't care what the experts say...we're not out of it yet folks), there has been a cloud of hardship that has people I care about truly struggling to get through life.

Just since January, I personally know:

7 husbands who are looking for work to support their familes
1 family who lost their 8 month old baby boy
1 mother who was told just last week she has terminal cancer
One family whose son had to have surgery to treat a staph infection
A friend who had to have extensive surgery on her foot
A family whose daughter had to be hospitalized for treatment of anorexia
Several people who are fighting clinical depression
One family trying to deal with a difficult medical diagnosis that has no cure

When people I care about are suffering...it always puts things into perspective, because it certainly takes what seemed like big issues at the time and makes them small, trivial matters.  Our society scorns suffering...at any level, and frankly, we are spoiled because we are lend to believe there's a quick solution to any problem, medicine to fix any pain, and enough money will buy our happiness. 

There's just one problem with these solutions.

They're all temporary. 

I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all go away.  Seriously...I do.  It's all I can do to not cry, throw a tantrum, throw up my hands and say, "Okay...that's IT!"

I wish I could have a private conversation with God.  I know prayer is private...but you know what I mean. 

I'd love to say something like, "God, don't you think my friends have had enough?  Don't you think they've been knocked down enough?  Please Lord...they barely have any hope left!"

But I know the only thing I can do is pray.  And honestly...that's hard for me.  Give me a problem and right away, I'll try to figure out a solution.  I know I should turn it over to God, but that darn Type A personality has a hard time letting go, even when it comes to someone besides myself. 

I know I'm supposed to let go and let God. 

I really don't ask God why.  I believe God allows certain events to happen.  Even when we are are are lowest, in the darkest places, He is still there.  Only when we ourselves are nailed to a cross do we cling even more steadfast to His promise,

I will never leave you, I will never forsake you. 

And some of those crosses, are the biggest, most painful crosses I have ever seen.

The hardest part is waiting for God's plan to be revealed.  We might wait just a few days.  But most of the time...it's far longer.  We might not see it for months, or years.  It might be never. 

I'm tired of seeing my friends doing the best they can...praying as hard as they ever have...and still, they suffer. 

But...I know I can't give up.  I have to have hope for them...it's about the only thing they have left.  That and faith...a strong, lasting faith...that God WILL see them through. 

The light shines through the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.  John 1:5

No comments:

Post a Comment