Friday, January 16, 2009

What If That Happened to Us?

I couldn't help but believe in miracles yesterday when I saw the news reports about the US Airways plane that landed in the Hudson River in New York. I mean...that pilot...as far as I'm concerned, is a HERO. If either one of the wings had touched the water (before the underside), the plane would have been torn apart, and the outcome would have been much worst for the passengers. But Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III guided his crippled plane squarely in the middle of the Hudson, without hitting any boats in the water, and without serious injuries to any of the passengers, save one (who had 2 broken legs). Passengers and witnesses decribed the scene as intitially chaotic, but then calm, as women and children were allowed to leave the plane first. How can anyone not believe that God and a legion of angels guided that plane safely down? The pilot had to made a split-second decision, and no doubt, it was the right one.

I've wondered what I'd do in a situation like that. In fact, I wonder about that every time I get on an airplane. We actually flew to New York last January to visit Gabrie's godmother, and I remember not really paying attention to the flight attendents when there were reviewing the safety procedures. I do remember saying a decade of the rosary during take-off and landing. I'm not scared of flying, because I've been on planes many times, but I know it can't hurt to cover the plane, the pilot, and the crew in prayers. And if we had been on that plane yesterday, I would have been really, really scared. I would not have wanted to deplane without David. He is calm no matter what, and I would have needed his reassurance that everything would be okay. But I know when you are in a life-and-death situation, keeping a level head and remaining calm are the most important things if you want to stay alive.

I usually never watch the news on TV, but I did turn it on yesterday to watch some of the news footage. The kids came home from school, and they were really in awe. They didn't realize a plane could land in water, and I was quick to tell them why the pilot made that decision. Rebecca told me she though God must have helped that pilot land, and she was glad nobody got hurt. I said it really was a miracle, and Rebecca agreed.

I am sure today is a day all the passengers on Flight 1549 are thankful to be alive. I know I would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment