Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Happy Birthday Rebecca

Our sweet girl Rebecca is 7 today. It is hard to believe. Sometimes she acts like she's five, and other times, she says things that a 12-year-old might say. Whew...I hope I am ready by the time she hits those double digits (I'm sure I won't be!)

We actually started celebrating last Saturday when we met up with my sister and her family for lunch. My sister gave Rebecca a pair of pink cowgirl boots...which she's always wanted, but Mom wasn't going to spend the money on something like that. My sister is also Rebecca's godmother, and feels it is her right to spoil her god-daughter (which is fine by me!).

Here's a shot of Rebecca in her boots, pink bandana, and pink cowgirl hat (had to be color-coordinated you know).

And here's a close-up of those boots (Christina is already asking when she can wear them. She is only about 1 1/2 shoe sizes behind Rebecca, so it could be any day now). Aren't they somethin'?

David saw a large electric keyboard at Kohl's last month, so he bought it for Rebecca's birthday, and we'd stashed it away until today. She has expressed an interest in piano lessons, so I figured this would be a good way to try it out...without spending any major bucks just yet. The first thing we taught her was how to turn the volume down, especially after she started singing, "I am the rocking girl..." to the tune of Frosty the Snowman. I don't think she'll be getting a recording contract any time soon.

Whenever our kids have a birthday, they can request their favorite meal for dinner--Rebecca decided to have Chicken Quesadillas. Then she looked through one of my baking cookbooks and picked a strawberry cake with strawberry frosting for dessert. I made the cake yesterday and frosted it today. (You can find the recipe in The Cake Mix Doctor. I can't post the recipe b/c I didn't alter it at all except for baking it in a bundt pan). It turned out pretty well.

Christina wanted to help blow out the candles, and Rebecca told her in no uncertain terms that she did NOT need any help ;-). Lord have mercy!

All in all, it was a fun day for her, and she went to bed happy. A part of me wants to hid the keyboard, but I'll just have to keep turning it down or walk around the house with earplugs in my ears :-).

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Rebecca - still remember the day you were born!!

    If you need a name of a piano teacher, let me know I have a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad Rebecca had a great birthday. Tell her I said HI. Love the boots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make the prettiest cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I mention I forgot to put the 4 eggs in it? It still tasted fine...the crumb was dense and very weet. Just goes to show you even I make mistakes!

    ReplyDelete