Sunday, February 15, 2009

Gem of the Week

Fr. Michael Sullivan, a newly ordained Legion of Christ priest said mass this morning. This was his first parish mass, and he did an exceptional job. He was congratulated during mass, and warmly greeted by parishioners afterwards. It was reassuring to speak to him myself and he gave us a family blessing also! But the best thing about his visit were the words he spoke before the final blessing. I cannot quote him exactly, but he said something like this:

14 years ago, I was a teenager, and felt God calling me to the priesthood. I thought I'd have to give up a lot, but now that I look back, I've had the opportunity to travel to 14 different countries, and the past 14 years have been the best years of my life. I say this to all the young boys and men present here...if you feel God is calling you to be a priest, you will never be more happy than to serve Him and the church. God cannot be outdone in generosity!

I felt a great surge of gladness in my heart...here was a newly ordained, visiting priest who was not afraid to speak his mind. Given the recent scandal for the Legion concerning our founder, I thought he was very brave to speak just those few words.

THY KINGDOM COME!

2 comments:

  1. I was wiping away tears during that speech..it touched me so deep..It was one of the holiest masses I have ever witnessed..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed his final blessing - Brandon didn't quite appreciate the sacredness of the Mass!

    ReplyDelete