Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Magical Moment

I was in the kitchen, working on my Shepard's Pie for dinner, when I looked up from the stove. I was so surprised...I dropped my spoon into the skillet.

IT WAS SNOWING!

It rarely snows here in southeast Texas. I've lived here for 12 years now and it's only happened once before.

I RAN to get Christina, and showed her the beautiful white flakes drifting down. She was in awe. Bless her heart, it's the first time she's ever seen snow. I told her to hurry and get her shoes and jacket on, which she did in record time. Then we went outside, and I took a picture of her trying to catch a snowflake on her tongue.

After a couple of tries, she did it! I asked her what it tasted like, and she said, "It tastes like ice Mommy."

I couldn't get a good shot of the snow coming down, and then my camera batteries died! Aah! So I rushed inside, grabbed a new set of batteries, and dashed back out. I decided to get a few shots of the snow on the ground instead.

Okay, I know...the trash can is not very attractive. But you could see the snow very clearly on it because the lid is black.

Another place where some snow accumulated was on the bumper of the van.

And here's a few brave snowflakes clinging to some of the plants in the front yard.

About 20 minutes later, the snow had changed back to mostly rain, with a few flurries mixed in. By now, Joshua and Rebecca had come home from school. I thought they would have complained about walking home from the bus stop in 34 degree weather, (because it's 8/10ths of a miles to our house) but they LOVED walking home in the snow.

Gabriel got up from his nap just in time to see the last bit of snow coming down. I took him outside and let a few snowflakes fall on my sleeve so he could see them. Then we went back inside, because I won't lie, it was COLD.

It didn't last long enough, but it sure was magical.


(Later on, around 7:30, it started to snow again. The kids were just amazed...I even let them go to bed with their blinds open so they could watch the snow falling down. Enough fell this time to really see it on the cars, roofs, etc.)

\

2 comments:

  1. That's neat! We got a lot of flurries, but nothing that I could get a picture of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh bummer Jennifer! I'm sorry! We got probably 1/4 an inch, no accumilation of course, but enough to impress the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete