"I don't feel so good."
He came in, lay down on the couch, and then went to bed. He already had a fever, which shot up to 104 in a matter of minutes. I wasn't too worried, because David gets a fever for everything. We piled on the blankets, gave him ibuprofen and tylenol, and waited for daylight.
Monday morning came, he wasn't able to go into work. So he fielded calls and emails from home, and rested. That night, he started to have stomach pain, big time. He said his intestines would cramp up every 15 minutes or so, and there was some moderate background pain. I started to worry because he barely slept that night, and a dose of Maalox didn't help at all.
We called Dr. Thomas, and David drove himself over Tuesday afternoon. They drew some blood, took a few x-rays, and sent him home with a couple of prescriptions. The meds helped with the pain, but David still didn't want to eat anything, and he was exhausted.
Wednesday morning, he decided to go ahead and go into work, even though he wasn't feeling great because he didn't want to get any further behind. The doctor's office called back and told him because of the results of one of the blood tests, they wanted him to go straight to the ER.
David called me while I was helping out with the book fair at Christina's preschool. I immediately went into "hyper drive," and starting thinking...okay, who can take care of the kids for me? One friend who was right there at the book fair, Cathy, scooped up Gabriel from the nursery, promised to get Christina when preschool let out, and I was able to have another friend get Joshua and Rebecca from the bus stop at 3:45. Okay, no sweat right? Everyone said I looked calm, but let me tell you...I did not feel calm at all. I was ready to cry! I prayed a thousand Hail Mary's in 1 minute...
I was on my way to the hospital to meet David, and decided to swing by the house really quick to grab my lists of phone numbers in case I needed them. David called me again on my cell-- Dr. Thomas had decided to see David at his office instead of the ER, and the plan was to run a couple of CT scans, with and without contrast. So the rest of the day was spent in the waiting room while David had those scans done. It took forever because he had to drink a barium solution for an hour, get one scan, drink another solution for an hour, and do the second scan. (I had the camera with me because I'd taken pics of Christina at preschool, and really wanted to take a shot of David in a gown and paper booties, but he wouldn't let me...no fair! He took pictures of me after I had all the kids!)
By the time we were finished, it was nearly 5PM. The CT scans didn't show anything out of the ordinary, except for David's small bowel, which appeared dilated. Dr. Thomas referred us to a surgeon, Dr. Cook, and we got an appointment to see him this morning at 8AM.
David drove home, and I collected Joshua and Rebecca; my friend Cathy brought Christina and Gabriel back to the house for me. (Cathy is truly a saint...I am so grateful to her). David was very tired, and after a couple of cups of chicken broth, went to bed--but couldn't sleep; he got up and worked on his GMAT study book until 10PM, and then went back to bed.
This morning, he got up and said,
"You know, I feel a lot better, I might not need to go see the surgeon after all."
I love my husband dearly, but I looked him straight in the eye, and told him,
"Oh no you don't, YOU ARE GOING." (men!)
I dropped Joshua and Rebecca off at the bus stop, and Christina went with another friend who would take her to preschool at 9AM. Gabriel and I headed off to Dr. Cook's office to meet up with David. Dr. Cook examined David, asked him a dozen or so questions. So now, the million dollar question, what's the diagnosis doc?
Dr. Cook believes David got a nasty virus that settled in his small bowel and attacked it, causing the cramping and other symptoms. He doesn't think any further tests were necessary, and David would surely feel better in a couple more days. The exam was really to palpitate David's abdomen, rule out anything serious (Crohn's disease, appendicitis, kidney stones, etc.), and what to watch for if an episode like this happened again.
David is back at work now, hopefully for good. I am home, looking around and trying to decide what to tackle first...I am kinda behind. But you know what...David will be all right, and that's all that matters. Thank you for all the prayers! We truly felt them.
I'm glad all is okay with David. That was scary!
ReplyDelete