Now, if this were me, I would be coming unglued. Literally. I would not be handling it well at all. I would be shaking my fist at God and saying, "Why are you doing this to me and our family?" I've moved a lot in my life, but it doesn't mean I liked it. But this is Karrie we're talking about. Sure, she's anxious, scared, overwhelmed, stressed. She's never lived anywhere but Houston her whole life. And her 16 year old daughter feels like her life is over (we can all understand that, right)? And yet, Karrie has this unwavering faith. You just would not believe how strong she is. She doesn't think so, but let me tell you, this woman is a ROCK. They are not looking back for one second, their courage is unbelievable. The boxes are being packed up as we speak, and they are going-- they don't know a soul out there in NC. But they're going... because they trust that God will see this plan through for them.
Karrie and I have know each other nearly 10 years. We went through all four years of FAMILIA together, and are now both Regnum Christi. We used to be on the same Regnum Christi team. We've grown in faith together, laughed together, cried together, you name it (and had some margaritas together). Karrie is famous for asking "quirky questions" (tell something you did as a teenager-- did you get away with it, or did you get caught?) She has inspired me SO much. Through her, I've learned what true charity is. That you have to not just speak charitably, but think kindly too. And you can be mad at your husband all you want, but you still have to love him (and others) as Christ did. I don't know anyone else who would let me vent for 45 minutes over the phone while she was relaxing in her tub. That's a true friend you know.
So last night, we all met at Gina's house and had an Encounter with Christ (Regnum Christi meeting) and to say goodbye to Karrie. I held back the tears until I hugged her. And then I cried, and whispered in her ear, "I need you Karrie!" As least, I don't know yet how I'm going to manage without her. I am so happy her husband has a job, and I know God has marvelous things in store for her and her family. But I still bawled all the way home.
This song is one I used to sing in college at the end of each semester in church when I was in the student choir. These words made me cry even harder- but Karrie, this one's for you. I love you. I'll never forget you, and I'll always be praying for you. Next time you're in your tub, call me!
Packing up the dreams God planted
In the fertile soil of you
Can't believe the hopes He's granted
Means a chapter in your life is through
But we'll keep you close as always
It won't even seem you've gone
'Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love that keeps us strong
And friends are friends forever
If the Lord's the Lord of them
And a friend will not say never
'Cause the welcome will not end
Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands we know
That a lifetime's not too long
To live as friends.
With the faith and love God's given
Springing from the hope we know
We will pray the joy you'll live in
Is the strength that now you show
But we'll keep you close as always
It won't even seem you've gone
'Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love that keeps us strong
And a friend's a friend forever
if the Lord's the Lord of them
And a friend will not say "never"
Cause the welcome will not end
Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands we know
That a lifetime's not to long
To live as friends
"Friends" by Michael W. Smith
My mom always says, "Life's about changes." It doesn't always make me feel better, but that's wonderful God has opened a door for their family.
ReplyDelete