We loaded up the car and headed to Western North Carolina Nature Center. This is an educational outdoor wildlife center with all kinds of animal exhibits-- so it was like a zoo, but featured animals and plants indigenous to this part of North Carolina. It was laid out really well, and very shady. The kids were able to touch a few animals as well-- a snake and turtle in the amphibian area, and goats at the petting zoo. Here are some pics from our walk through the wild.
One exhibit was a slide next to the otters, so the sign encouraged the kids to "slide down like an otter." My niece Mary was perplexed because the sign said to go down feet first, but, "otters slide down on their tummies, don't they?" We told her she was such a smart girl. :-). Gabriel had to try it too, so Joshua took him down. The look on his face was one of pure delight.
The last part of the walk was a butterfly house, and the girls liked it the most. Here are some pictures of them trying to "catch" a butterfly.
There was a park with a nice playgroup right next to the nature center, so we had lunch there. Peter and Stephanie had to start their drive back to Allen after lunch. They planned to stop "somewhere," spend one night, and be home by Monday. I love being around Peter and Stephanie because when we're with them, we're guaranteed some laughter. For example:
Peter: "You know, where ever we stop for the night, I'll have to stop at a few hotels and see if I can barter for a room."
Stephanie: "Peter, 'barter' means exchanging goods or services. I don't know what goods you have, and I don't think you have any services to offer anyone, at least... I hope not."
David: (snickering while trying to eat his sandwich)
Kimberly: "I'm not EVEN going to go there."
By now, we're all roaring with laughter (at Peter's expense of course), and Peter doesn't have a come back. Don't think there was anything he could say."
The kids all hugged each other and said goodbye. Rebecca was especially sad to see Mary go. But they're going to come down to Houston for Labor Day, so it'll be just 3 weeks until we see them again.
We headed to our hotel in the Biltmore East area, checked in, and put Gabriel down for a nap while David took everyone else swimming. Then we went to 5pm Mass at the Basilica of St. Laurence in downtown Asheville. I asked David why he picked another basilica for Mass, and he said we might as well go to someplace unique while we're traveling. Good point!
We had dinner at Red Lobster and used the gift card we got for our anniversary. Christina ordered an ice cream sundae and we put four pink candles in it for her. Stephanie had brought birthday candles on the road since Mary's birthday was August 3, one day after Christina's (thanks Stephanie!). After dinner, we went back to the hotel, got the kids to bed, and then I headed out to a local laundromat to do some serious laundry. I didn't finish until nearly 11pm, so I am not planning on doing any more until we get home.
Tomorrow we head back to Chattanooga Tennessee. David has planned a route along the Blue Ridge Parkway, so expect some great pics. Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment