Sunday, August 24, 2008

The End of Summer

(Well, in Houston, summer's really not over until December, but anyway...)

I told the kids last night at dinner I was sad they were going back to school tomorrow. Every night, we ask the kids 3 questions, and then David and I answer them as well:
What are you glad about today? What are you sad about today?
What was your gift to Christ today?

The kids didn't understand why I was sad until I said, "It will be just me, Christina and Gabriel, and we'll be lonely without you. And who's going to help with Gabriel, carry the groceries in for me, and check the mail?" I know Rebecca is excited to start school, Joshua would rather eat dirt (lol). But he knows school is inevitable, and a new backpack, lunch box, and shoes has somewhat eased the pain.

Really, I know it's back to school time, but I am sad. They've been a big help this summer. They did their chores, put away a million cups of applesauce and yogurt from the store, counted snacks for our trip, played peek-a-boo with Gabriel, read books to their little sister, and even left me alone a couple times a week so I could sneak in a cat nap. I'm just being a sap, I know!

We drove them to school this morning and of course, we took pictures before we left the house. In another year, I'll have 3 kids in elementary school. I can't even begin to imagine that. We'll have 3 huge packs of school supplies to lug...David will have to bring his wheelbarrow.
As a third grader, Joshua is upstairs this year, so he feels pretty special :-) I met both of their teachers, and I felt great about both of them--they're both experienced, and Joshua's has a reputation for being kind, but firm (exactly what Joshua needs). Rebecca didn't have her 2 friends who live on our street in her class this year, but I was sure they were going to break up that very social trio (lol). But Rebecca is so outgoing, we know she'll be just fine.

Please Lord, watch over my children this year. Please bless them with good instruction, sharp eyes and open ears to learn. Help them remember to be Christ to others. And please keep them safe...Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment