Saturday, November 8, 2008

While the Boys are Away...

David and Joshua are at the Cub Scout fall camp out. Technically, they're not camping out. They're spending the day on the USS Lexington docked in Corpus Christi, playing on the beach, and will bunk tonight on the ship. I can't wait to hear what fun the boys had. I made David promise to get good pics.

So, what do the girls and the angel baby do while the men are gone? A LOT! Here's a rundown of Saturday:

6:45 AM--The girls get up, much to my dismay, but I seize the opportunity to make
Rebecca's Favorite Breakfast Sandwich, (and one for me too) so she'll have energy for her soccer game at 9AM.

7:00--Gabriel gets up and I get him breakfast, and the girls happily watch a little TV. Meanwhile, I finish bagging up the Frosted Molasses Cookies I made for the MOYC bake sale. I snuck one bag into Joshua's overnight bag; he called me when he found them earlier this morning, and said, "Thanks Mom!"

7:45--I realize I need to hit the shower NOW, or we're not going to get out the door on time. Thank goodness I'd gotten a haircut yesterday, so my 5 minute blow dry is now about 3 minutes.

8:15--I get Gabriel dressed, and have the girls gather up everything we need. This included:

4 folding chairs to sit on at the soccer field
A bottle of water for Rebecca
Light jackets for everyone b/c it was a bit chilly that AM

A sack lunch for Gabriel
3 books to return to the library
The grocery list
2 loaves of banana bread, 4 applesauce spice cakes, 2 chocolate cherry cakes, and 15 bags of cookies

Geez...I hope I didn't forget anything. We pull out of the driveway at 8:25, drive 2 minutes to Tricia's house and drop off all the baked goods.

8:50-- We rush to the soccer field and watch Rebecca's game. She is becoming a good defensive player and wants to play goalie more than once a game :-).

10:10--After the game, we pack up chairs, load everyone back into the van and go run a few errands.

10:25--First stop is the pediatrician's office to get Joshua's prescription. It's a bit of a pain to refill his meds for treating ADHD, but it has to be done this way because he's on a controlled substance. We have wrangled with the office and the insurance company though--we now refill his prescription every 3 months instead of every month. We save a lot of money this way (my hubby is a genius...).

10:45--Next stop, drop off the books at the library.

10:55-- Finally, we go to Chick-fil-A for lunch. Initially, Christina pitches a fit because she wanted to go to McDonald's. Too bad...Mommy has coupons for Chick-fil-A, and a craving for a wrap and a large diet lemonade. The minute she hit the play area, Christina stopped crying and actually ate all her chicken nuggets (which is very, very rare).

12:00PM--Leave Chick-fil-A and make a quick run to Walmart for mascara (for me), corn tortillas, sour cream, and fishing swivels. I plan to make a small pan of PW'S Favorite Enchiladas (yum!), and we're making bracelets/necklaces in formation class tomorrow--hence the fishing swivels.

While we're at Walmart, I see the movie, A Little Princess for just $5. So I sneak 2 into the shopping cart, one for my girls and one for my niece Mary for Christmas. I also get a dozen powdered mini donuts on the bakery clearance rack for 60 cents. They expired today, but the girls will love them for breakfast tomorrow morning.

12:30--We get home, and I let Gabriel play in the car for a minute while the girls and I get everything out of the van--3 chairs, 4 jackets, 2 bags from Walmart, 3 baking sheets (used to secure all the cakes for transport), one lunch box, 3 drink cups from Chick-fil-A, 1 water bottle, 2 bottles of Gatorade (from the soccer game). Oh, and Gabriel's milk cup and blankie. That baby refused to come into the house until I let him have the car keys. He absolutely loves to play in the car. This started last summer during our road trip, but it's truly an obsession now.

1:00--Gabriel goes down for a nap, I sit down with the laptop, and the girls head outside to play with one of their friends across the street.

It just hit me...I really need a nap!

Well...I didn't take a nap. I couldn't pass up the oppportunity to work on this post and a new post on my cooking blog. Still didn't quite finish because Gabriel got up earlier than I thought he would. Oh well.

The girls played outside until dusk, and then spent another 45 minutes bringing inside all the stuff they'd taken outside. I can never understand why it takes forever for kids to clean up when it takes them no time at all to make a mess :-).

I made grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner, (I indulged in my plate of enchildas with no guilt whatsoever--David may not get any by the time he gets back tomorrow, lol). I then told the girls it was a perfect opportunity to watch a really girlie movie since the boys were gone. They voted for High School Musical, and got ready for bed in record time because Mommy's rule is the TV stays off until the bedtime routine is complete (except for prayers).

So now it's 8:30, and all is well (and quiet) in our house. This is probably my favorite time of day, except for first thing in the morning when the sun is just starting to rise. David has called twice now to say they're doing fine and having a blast. I'm really glad the two of them get this time together, and I get time with my girls (and a toddler too!).

No comments:

Post a Comment