Saturday, November 1, 2008

Going...Going...Gone...

For the past couple of weeks, I've been sorting though things for our garage sale. It's mostly clothes the kids have outgrown, a bag or two of our old clothes, about 8 boxes of toys, some kitchen items, all the infant baby gear and toys, David's old desk from college (it's hideous...if someone buys it, I seriously will be in a shock), our old dresser and nightstand (we just bought bedroom furniture last month for us), and other miscellaneous things. We are keeping the crib, changing table, cradle, and a few other things I cannot bear to part with.

I counted the boxes of kids clothes...


1 box of unisex infant clothing
11 boxes of girl clothing
4 boxes of boys clothing

Wait a minute...what? I knew we had a lot of pink, but seriously...that is unbelievable. We're not selling any of Joshua' old clothes because we're saving them for Gabriel; we're only selling the things he's already outgrown (18 month or smaller). There was a lot of hand-me-down clothes for the girls from my oldest nieces, some of it I bought, some of it was given to them new. My poor boys...everything for girls is so cute...and boys' clothing is just not made that way.

Today was the day...I was so thankful to have my friend and neighbor Melanie come over to help; plus she had some stuff she wanted to sell. I think her presence helped me from crying while I watched the baby stuff go. She stayed all morning since David had to take Rebecca to her soccer game at 10:30. Joshua's job was to be a "secret detective" and make sure nobody walked off without paying. He spent the morning watching Pokemon on TV. Oh well...

Here's what we started with at dawn...

And here's what was left by mid-afternoon...


I had meet two ladies at a resale shop last week. I told them about our garage sale, and they both came today. One bought boy clothes, and the other mom (who had 3 girls) bought about $80 worth of girl clothes. Wow...I admit...I was pretty happy. And that mom was thrilled!

One teenage girl bought an old stuffed bear. She told me she really didn't want the bear, just the sweater and hat on the bear--she planned to use them to dress her chihuahua dog so he wouldn't be cold...oh my gosh. It was so funny!

We had people interested in the furniture, but it ended up back in the garage, unsold. I have about 8 boxes of clothes and a few boxes of miscellaneous items to give to charity. 2 boxes and some baby things will be going to Project Gabriel at the church. One box of clothes I will take to a consignment store to see if they want them.

So...our total for today...about $625. I was SO tired by the end of today. I couldn't sleep last night at all...not sure why. I only got about 4 hours of sleep, so I begged for take-out for dinner (which David graciously picked up), and I am going to bed...early.

Funny... I didn't cry at all today. I guess I got all my emotions and tears out the past 2 weeks. Honestly, I was glad to see it all go, it was just hard to get it all together, and admit it needed to go.

Now I need a shower and a foot massage. Yep...that sounds really good right now.

2 comments:

  1. The most we EVER make is $100. It is so much work for $100. You have the magic touch! I'm calling you next time!

    ReplyDelete