Our generator has been running nonstop now for 3 days, since gas has been easier to find, and it's been a godsend. David even hooked up the TV tonight and is currently watching Mythbusters ;-). We keep checking the Centerpoint website and the restoration schedule. Right now, 80% of our zip code should have power by next Thursday. I can't even wrap my brain around that...we could be without power for another 6 days. We've done a little research and discovered we're on a separate grid (our street, the cul-du-sac one street over, and 1/2 of the next street).from the rest of the neighborhood. Yes, the rest of our subdivision has power. We've reported a downed power line right behind the fence at the end of our street. Nothing else we can do. Is there a novena to some saint for the restoration of electricity? I may need to start one...
I know there are so many people who have it worse that us. There are over a million people in the Houston area who don't have power either. The house has no damage, and we have plenty of food and water. And until today, I was positive and mostly upbeat. But today, I admit it, I succumbed. I was cranky, I wasn't in a good mood...I yelled at the kids for no good reason at all. David called me from work this morning, and I just bawled. I guess I'd just been holding it in until now. I feel so weak, and I'm really ashamed of myself. I did get out with a friend tonight and we had drinks at Chili's...I feel a little better.
I just want things to be "normal." I want to be able to bake again and make a great meal for my friend Julie who just had a baby. I want to walk around the house without breaking into a sweat or tripping over extension cords. I want to sleep at night without the steady, loud hum of a fan at the foot of the bed. Mostly, I just want to see light again.
Sigh...please forgive me. I really believe I'll be better tomorrow. David will be home for the weekend, and I know his presence will keep me calm. I should have another malibu and coke tomorrow night... that will probably help too. And my neighbors Minnie and Casey have decided we're going to throw the biggest darn block party ever when the power comes back on. I can't wait...I am going to bake like, a dozen cakes. Seriously...
I know I have to focus on the good things...
The kids, thankfully, are doing GREAT. They aren't bothered at all anymore about the lack of electricity. We decided a couple of days ago that since we were in it for the long haul, we might as well take the "roughing it" experience to the ultimate level and have a camp out. We had a dinner of pancakes and sausage, and of course, made s'mores for dessert. David set up the 6 man tent in the backyard, and the kids are all snuggled up in their sleeping bags with a big box fan at the entrance. David said he'd sleep out with them, but I guess he changed his mind after our next door neighbor fired up his new, 15,000 watt generator. Geez...
Here's what Christina, Rebecca, and Joshua look like after a night in a tent. Aren't they adorable?
Hope you and your family are safe tonight, and if you have power, enjoy it for me. I know God is giving us the opportunity to earn graces, and if I just hang on, Jesus will give us all the "light" we need.
Oh Kimberly..I am sending you electricity vibes you way..I know the novelty has worn off.. if you need some a/c you can come our way..
ReplyDeleteWe're also in the no-power-for-days boat. We don't have a generator or a tent or even a camping stove, so we're at my sister's house. I know how you feel about being stressed and edgy and just wanting things normal again.
ReplyDeleteI went to my house yesterday to get some things and feed the cats. On my white board by my back door, where I write a shopping list under the heading "We Need," I wrote, "The LORD."