Saturday, July 18, 2009

Going to the Dogs

We went to Reliant Park World Series of Dog Shows today. Rebecca had artwork on display there for the student art contest. When her drawing was entered, we got three free passes to the show. Kids ages 12 and under were free. All we had to pay was $8 for parking!

We talked to the kids ahead of time about "dog show etiquette" (yes, there is such a thing) after David found this page on the show's website. For example, only pet a dog after asking for permission, be careful not to step on paws or tails, and don't distract a dog while it's performing.

Once we got into the exhibits, it felt a bit ironic. Here we are...at a dog show....looking at dog products, toys, treats...with dogs everywhere you look...and we don't have a dog.

We may not have a dog, but Gabriel was wearing his toddler harness (which I've mentioned in a previous post). It's shaped like a dog, which people said was very cute.

I did tell the kids it was not possible to get a dog at the show; you could however look at dogs available for adoption. Honestly, I am not ready for a dog. We had dogs growing up (David only had cats), but 4 kids is enough right now. I've told David we'll get a dog when Gabriel starts kindergarten so I will still have a baby at home, lol.

We made our way over to the student art display, and found Rebecca's picture. It was all the way at the top, so David had to put Rebecca on his shoulders for this picture. Her entry is the one in the black frame, top right corner.

In one area, you could meet and pet different breeds of dogs. The kids loved this...Gabriel was absolutely enthralled. The first dogs he petted were these HUGE Malamutes. These dogs were so big, I am surprised Gabriel wasn't scared; they were bigger than miniature horses. I wish had had gotten a picture, but I didn't :-(.

Later, we watched some dogs in action, doing tricks, catching frisbees, and "dancing."

One dog's handler threw autographed frisbees into the crowd, and Joshua caught one. Gabriel claimed it, "mine!" and wouldn't let go of it under we got home.

Some Great Danes waiting to be judged...these guys are big too...REALLY big.

And then we have the teeny tiny dogs...the ones that will fit into a teacup...David likes to call them, "little yip dogs."

This one had a long tongue...but the cutest face!

Of course, we saw at least 4 dozen different breeds of dogs...probably more. Whew...after a couple of hours, we called it quits, and headed home. Gabriel kept saying, "Dog!" all the way home :-).

Anyway, we had a great time, the kids loved it...and we have no plans to get a dog.

3 comments:

  1. What a neat way to spend the day as a family! I don't think we have dog shows like THAT in ND. Maybe 4-H or the state fair, but nothing like what you attended.

    Our kids want a dog ... badly. But, we're just not ready yet, either. No grass in the yard, yet, and a new baby on the way don't make for a good place or a lot of time to train a young dog/puppy. We have considered getting a dog that is past the puppy stage, but there are drawbacks to that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to cat shows, but never a dog show! I bet my boys would love it. Maybe we'll visit one some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very beautiful picture, rebecca!

    ReplyDelete