Sunday, July 12, 2009

Reunions x 2

Yesterday, we were in Bryan/College Station all day. David had a little reunion with former housemates at St. Joseph's Vineyard, and we also had my family reunion--my paternal grandmother's side, the McKenzie Clan. Since both reunions were on the same day, we were not able to attend either reunion's entire events, but we had a good time nonetheless :-).

First, we went to the "new" St. Joseph's Vineyard. We were unfortunately just about the only people there...it seems many people (especially those who still live in the area) were at at wedding, and would not be around until Saturday evening. But we were fed, the hosts were gracious, and the conversation was pleasant; plus the newest "grapes" were house-sitting a dog, much to the delight of our kids, who petted and played with Luke nonstop.

We headed over to my great aunt and great uncle's house mid-afternoon. This year's reunion was also on the small side, but I enjoyed catching up with my two cousins closest in age to me, Jan and Rhonda. Every one's an Aggie too...our kids are really showing their loyalty now; even Christina says, "Aggies Rule!"

People laugh when I say I have redneck family in Bryan...but it's really true. The Baldwin McKenzie Business College was started several generations ago--at one point, it was run by my great grandfather (Daddy Mac) , and my great grandmother (Mom Mac) taught typing and shorthand as well. Our family's root run quite deep here in Texas.

One of my older cousins Haverly had brought a large folder full of old family pictures. She, along with My Great Uncle Warren, and David spent some time looking at them, spread out over the dining room table.

Since David dabbles in genealogy (he can explain my family tree better than I can), he was pretty interested in the pictures and stories that went along with them.

Haverly also brought a footlocker full of old looped rugs made by Mom Mac, and she told me to take one...which I was thrilled about. The one I picked out is currently in my master closet...it's a bit too fragile to be walked on every day. I may try to hang in somewhere in the house later on.

The girls found the water slide that my Great Aunt Catherine had set up in the back yard and got nice and wet along with Jan's little boy Ethan.

All the kids (big and small) played UNO,

gave each other "rides,"

roughhoused on the guest bed (until I told them to stop for fear of the bed collapsing)...

and talked about when the next family album would be done. Every 5 years or so, everyone sends in their update and family picture to be complied into an album; this time Jan has volunteered to put it all together.

Later on, we had pizza, salad, cookies, and cheesecake. Right before we hit the road to drive home, I took a shot of everyone in the front yard of Aunt Catherine's house.

The McKenzie Clan is actually MUCH bigger than this...but as I said earlier, this year's reunion was on the small side.

The kids were tired that night...we got home, put everyone to bed, and then went straight to bed ourselves...slept like logs too!

Hopefully the next reunion will be bigger. I am thankful our kids get to see this side of the family...if they hang around them long enough, maybe they'll develop a Texas twang ;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment