Today I took all the kids swimming by myself for the first time. I was a little daunted, but I knew they would love it, and I can't take them to the clubhouse pool in the afternoons (it doesn't open until 12), and that's when Gabriel needs a nap. We went to Dawn's house for playgroup, and she let us swim in her pool. Joshua and Rebecca are good swimmers (thanks to 3 summers of swim lessons), but Christina wore a swim vest, and I had Gabriel in a little inflatable frog. At one point, Gabriel wanted my sunglasses, so I put them on him--what a stylin' baby he was!
I now realize it takes at least 30 minutes to make sack lunches for everyone, get all the kids into swimsuits, and then put sunscreen on (including myself). I remembered just in time NOT to put the swim diaper on Gabriel until right before we got into the pool-- yes we learned the hard way those swim diapers do not hold anything, they just keep the water out. And no, I didn't take any pictures because I was too busy making sure nobody drowned. But the kids did great--I knew as long as Christina kept her swim vest on, she'd be fine. There have been times she will take it off, and get in the water, but she's not a strong swimmer yet, so we insist she wears it.
Gabriel and Christina are napping now-- they were so ready to hit the sack for a little bit.
I think now I'm brave enough to take them to the neighborhood pool by myself. However, I wish there was a way to take just one bag of stuff to the pool. Even though the kids helped out today at playgroup, we had to carry my purse, the diaper bag, the bag of towels, the tote bag with lunches, and the portable high chair for Gabriel, and the inflatable frog. Really, why do mothers have just 2 hands?
I now realize it takes at least 30 minutes to make sack lunches for everyone, get all the kids into swimsuits, and then put sunscreen on (including myself). I remembered just in time NOT to put the swim diaper on Gabriel until right before we got into the pool-- yes we learned the hard way those swim diapers do not hold anything, they just keep the water out. And no, I didn't take any pictures because I was too busy making sure nobody drowned. But the kids did great--I knew as long as Christina kept her swim vest on, she'd be fine. There have been times she will take it off, and get in the water, but she's not a strong swimmer yet, so we insist she wears it.
Gabriel and Christina are napping now-- they were so ready to hit the sack for a little bit.
I think now I'm brave enough to take them to the neighborhood pool by myself. However, I wish there was a way to take just one bag of stuff to the pool. Even though the kids helped out today at playgroup, we had to carry my purse, the diaper bag, the bag of towels, the tote bag with lunches, and the portable high chair for Gabriel, and the inflatable frog. Really, why do mothers have just 2 hands?
No comments:
Post a Comment