Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Finally, Gabriel's Walking!

Okay, I should say Gabriel's been walking a fair bit for about 2 weeks now. This blessed child, who took 20 hours to come into the world (how does that happen with the 4th baby?), didn't roll over both ways until 7 months, sit up unassisted until 9 months, and crawl until 11 months finally decide to try a new mode of getting from point A to point B at the grand age of 16 1/2 months? I know, I know, now that he's walking, I'll regret it. He's always been our very laid back baby. And I think I can read his mind, "Walking?...Please, that is SO overrated." But honestly, I'm relieved because we're going on vacation in 3 weeks, and I was hoping he'd be walking by then. There's so much of the world you don't see when you're on your hands and knees. I fully realize he will remember nothing from this upcoming trip, but I heard someone say even though he'll have no memories, they'll be moments when he'll know he's loved and being paid attention to. I plan to take lots of pictures and put some in his baby book (yes, I'm determined to take as many as I can. After all, this will be our first long road trip as a family).

I did get my baby sling back from Tammy because I wanted to see if he'd let me put him in it. Then at least we could walk around, see the sights on our vacation, and I'd have my hands free. I tried it a week ago, and Gabriel loved hangin' out on my hip. It made me miss his infant days when he'd spend half the day in the sling, sleeping away, and looking like an absolute angel (which he still is, of course). We went to the museum last weekend, and when Christina got tired of walking, I'd sling Gabriel so she could have the stroller. I just loved having him so close to me. He still smells like a baby, and he still has that baby-soft skin. Sigh...okay I'm starting to go sappy, I'll sign off before the tears start.

Did I mention Rebecca was bribing Gabriel with an animal cracker so we could get these pictures?

2 comments:

  1. Haha, already getting into the fridge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the little stinker. You know... I dont' feed him enough, so every chance he gets, Gabriel goes scavenging in the fridge, hoping for scraps.

    ReplyDelete