Monday, May 21, 2012

A Change in the Air

Last fall, we hear the buzz around our church that a home school academy, Regina Caeli, wanted to start a hybrid program in our area.  I didn't go to any of the informational meetings, but a few of my friends did.  I'd already seriously considered homeschooling once Rebecca hit 6th grade, but wasn't dead set on it. David was supportive, but not 100% on board either.  He was worried it would be too much work for me.  And...I suck at math.  Seriously...I am not good at math.  At all.  

So...one of my friends told me more about the program, and sent me a few more emails.  I was intrigued, but I filed away the information in my "saved" folder, and thought, "Maybe in another year we can think about it." I didn't feel God had revealed His plan for us yet.  



David is on the Community Life Commission at St. Ignatius Loyola, so he was at his montly meeting back in March.  He also had a presentation to give for the Parish Council meeting afterwards, so he heard more about Regina Caeli.  He came home late (around 10:30 PM) and said, 


"Honey, what do you know about this Regina Caeli home school program?" 


I said, "Well...a lot via email, but I kinda set them aside for now because I wasn't sure you'd go for it."  


My husband replied, "I think we should do it.  It could be a good fit for our family." 


"WHAT DID YOU SAY?  REALLY???"


I'm glad I was already in bed...I would have had to sit down. :-)


We stayed up until midnight talking about it.  The next day, I took a deep breath, filled out the application I'd gotten through one of those emails, and sent it in.  We had our family interview 3 weeks ago, the girls were evaluated (they don't screen incoming kindergartners, so Gabriel wasn't tested), and we were accepted a week later. 


Talk about a whirlwind.  Just like that...in one fell swoop, we will be homeschooling this fall!


Am I nervous? 


Yes, somewhat.  I have a degree in education, so I am qualified (so to speak).  But can I really handle being around my kids more than I am now?  The Regina Caeli program will teach the kids 2 days a week at the church, and then I'll have them at home the rest of the week.  I am sure I will tear out my hair some days.  I am positive it will not always be a bowl of peaches!  But I am honestly looking forward to not having the logistically nightmare of dropping off/picking up kids from 3 different schools.  I'm hoping we will have more time to do the things the girls want to do, liking cooking and sewing after our school work is done for the day.  I'm really eager to supplement our curriculum, and teach Gabriel how to read.  And most of all, I'm glad my kids will be socializing with other Catholic families who are trying hard to raise our child with kindness and compassion.  


Our oldest, Joshua will be staying in public school.  He'll be in 7th grade this fall.  So naturally, people are asking me why he's not being homeschooled.  


Well...Joshua is a very unique kid.  Always has, and undoubtedly, always will be.  He had developmental and speech delays as a very young child, and needed therapy for 5 years.  He's come a LONG way, but benefits from the public school environment.  One--he likes structure, and public school is very scheduled.  He likes knowing what comes next, and it takes him a while (sometimes months) to adjust to any kind of changes.  Two--he's not very mature socially, and being around adults and peers helps him communicate in the ways he needs to work on; specifically making eye contact with others, asking questions, responding when called on, reading out loud, and how to make decisions if he's put in a difficult situation (which has already happened this year with a group of girls harassing him).  We already know his best friend from third grade will be moving this summer.  Losing his friend, AND changing schools would make Joshua flip out.  It could take a whole year for him to become comfortable and make new friends, if any at all.  Three--Joshua is a true introvert.  He spends 90% of his time in his room, and only comes out to do homework, play on the computer, watch TV, and eat.  We have him on swim team for the summer and Boy Scouts to meet his social and physical needs. Otherwise, he literally prefers to "hid" away and only come out of his room if we call him to do chores.  That's not a bad thing, but sometimes he's really not in touch with reality.  Public school is definitely his window to the world.  


Now that's out of the way.  Sorry for the long explanation. :-)


So...am I excited? 


YES.  I've already gotten the book lists for Rebecca, Christina, and Gabriel.  I've been trolling web sites and swap groups all week looking for the best deal on used texts, books, and curriculum.  I love buying books, and can't wait to read right along with the kids.  We have to pay montly tuition for Regina Caeli (it's about 1/2 the cost a full-time Catholic school would charge), and pay for books and uniforms.  So you bet I'm trying to save money every which way I can.  I firmly believe God place this opportunity in our hands, and He will provide, since He truly wants to give us the desires of our heart.  David and I have always wanted to give our children a classic, Catholic education.  Regina Caeli allows us to do so at a price we can afford.  


And speaking of that...please don't forget to enter my giveaway for 2 free crochet rosaries (which I'm now making in the hopes of supplementing our income just a bit.  Thank you!


Now that I think I've covered all the bases, please pray for our family.  We especially ask the Blessed Mother to watch over us as we embark on this new adventure together.  We humbly pray for her guidance, patience, and love to cover us and embrace our children as we learn together.  AMEN!


2 comments:

  1. You are right, it's not all peaches. However, with Homeschooling the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Sounds like you have a great situation ...kids at the church two days a week and home the rest. You will get a break on the days they are at church. As for the math, it's not quite so bad when you have the teachers manual in your hands!! Prayers as you begin this new path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzie...please pray for me...I really do stink at math. I know I can learn as we go along. But I'm completely lost with Joshua (currently finishing 6th grade)! He has to wait until Dad gets home before getting help. :-)

    ReplyDelete