1. Reactions from people who find out we're having baby #5 have been mostly positive. Thankfully, only a couple of comments have been downright awful. I was at Walmart with Rebecca pricing out glasses for her, and the woman next to us said,
"So, is she (Rebecca) the oldest?"
I replied, "No, she's the second out of 4, and we have one on the way."
The woman said, shaking her head, "I'm so sorry."
I said, "Why are you sorry? I'm not sorry!"
I didn't have time to really think about those words until later. And then I bristled...and I prayed to God to help me let go of my anger. Why does our society feel sorry for people with big familes anyway? Why are kids such a bad thing? What is UP with people?
Sigh...I'll leave it at that. Otherwise, I'll be on a soapbox for a while.
2. We've been trying to crack down on discipline in our house. It really fell by the wayside over the summer when I was feeling miserable during the first trimester. So far, David and I are really learning to work together, enforce the rules, and praise positive behavior. The only child showing resistance is Rebecca. She tries to negotiate over everything, and it requires the patience of a saint to talk to her. One minute she is kind, helpful, and so attentive to others, and the next, she is ROARING with anger. We both agree she's really smart, and staying one step ahead of her is a challenge. It can be fun though. For example, I had this conversation with her last week when she offered to clean the master bathroom.
REBECCA: "Mommy, I'll clean the bathroom, but it will cost you."
ME: "Okay, I'll pay you 5 dollars."
REBECCA: "That's it!? I want 10 bucks!"
ME: "All right...I'll give you 3 dollars."
REBECCA: "But...that's less than 5!"
ME (smiling): "Well, take it or leave it."
REBECCA (gruglingly): Okay
She doesn't know it, but I walked away from that one saying to myself, "Yes, I WON!" But I tell you, she not only cleaned my bathroom, but her bathroom as well, and did a very good job. So despite her brain and her tongue, our daughter is really a blessing. And a workout!
3. I'm teaching Christina's 1st grade homeschool formation class this year, and so far, I'm having the BEST time. I just LOVE IT. I love being around these sweet little kids, who are eager to learn more about their faith, and it just makes my day to listen to them read, color their pictures, answer questions, etc. I am so thankful to have this opportunity to spend time with our younger daughter. I've always felt like she gets a bit lost in the shuffle in our family, and being her formation teacher gives me some precious time with her.
4. Since school started, I've had to really remind Joshua to write more neatly. I am sure his teacher is wondering how we can ever read this kid's papers. I wish Joshua could just type out everything...but he has to do some writing. He also has a hard time explaining his work, especially when a test question requires a written answer...and I just don't know how to help him. If you ask him orally, he can reel off the answer, no problem. But writing out his thoughts...man it's tough for him. I am praying we can help him some way!
5. David is trying his darndest to get the study nook finished. I've been putting up pictures on Facebook, but I haven't taken pics of the cabinets...I will do that as soon as he clears off all the tools up there. He's currently working on the countertops, which will be large, 18x18 stone tiles. Believe it or not, it was cheaper to go that route than corian or laminate. I will be so glad when this room is done!
6. Let's see...what else have I been thinking about? Oh yes...five kids. Whew...five kids. Can I really do this? I'm nearly halfway throught this pregnancy already...which I can hardly believe. But I am excited too. And funny thing is, I was worried the first few weeks. We had that garge sale two years ago, and I let nearly all the baby things go. But kind friends have offered a car seat, a crib mattress, etc. I even found a perfectly good infant tub in the neighbor's trash pile this week, and snapped it up. Every offer has been like a gift from God...proof that He does provide!
Then I was thinking...where is the baby going to go? We converted the nursery to David's study 2 years ago...and now we have to rearrange big, heavy office furniture to make room for the crib. Thankfully the room is quite large, so it's won't be too bad.
And finally, at one point, I told David, "What about my mother's ring? Will we be able to put another stone in it?" My darling hubby said not to worry...if we couldn't get another stone put in, we'd just get a new setting. He continues to be so attentive to taking care of me during this pregnancy...I am one lucky girl, let me tell you.
Well, I think that's it. I think...
I told you my thoughts were random. ;-). Maybe slightly overboard. But hopefully not completely crazy.

No comments:
Post a Comment