Joshua will be 11 in June...I still haven't recovered from his double-digit birthday last year. He has been diligently saving up his allowance, birthday money, etc. for a Nintendo DSI. Apparently, David and I are the only parents who did not give their child a DS for Christmas last year. I guess we are just cruel and insensitive; making our kids pay for an expensive electronic toy themselves. There will also be a written contract governing the use of the DS that Joshua will have to sign. He already asks me a million times a day if he can go play on the computer or watch TV, so there had to be some regulation plan. At least it's one more thing I can hold over his head if he is disrespectful, brings home a bad grade, harasses his sisters, etc. Joshua is enjoying being in Cub Scouts with David...they shot off model rockets yesterday at the high school parking lot. He said it was "really, really awesome!" We were really impressed with his last report card, three A's and three B's, which was insanely good for him.
Rebecca (8) also saved up her money to get a Nintendo DS...because she can't bear to be outdone by her older brother (and yes, she'll be signing a contract too). I constantly find papers, journals, and her other writings all over the house. The past few weeks, her conduct at school has been below par...talking too much. After an email to her teacher, and a stern discussion regarding her behavior, we have not seen much improvement. But...I know it is spring fever; it's running rampant at school, and she is bring home stellar work and grades (she's made straight A's all year long on her report cards). So...we told her to be quiet, or that new DS coming in the mail would not make it into her eager little hands! The biggest event for Rebecca is her First Holy Communion this Sunday. I don't know how I'm going to get through Mass without crying...I got choked up just getting her pictures done. She is really, really ready!
Christina (5 1/2) is starting to emerge from the shadow of her big sister. We'ver tried very hard to give her a little more attention. As the third child in birth order, I really think she doesn't get enough. Now that we know she has allergies, (read more about that here) she is getting fussed over, although we're trying not making a big deal about it. She understands more than I give her credit for--and she has assurred me if she needs her inhaler, she will tell her teachers and go see the school nurse. Sometimes she is rather quiet and shy, so I wasn't sure she would speak up for herself. There are times she acts like a baby, and throws massive temper tantrums...which require every ounce of my patience to get through. But she loves coloring, drawing, and making sweet pictures for me, and is slowly becoming a more independent child. She went to a birthday party all by herself yesterday (I didn't stay, and her older sister wasn't invited), and everyone told me she behaved beautifully...I am really proud of her. ;-)
Gabriel (3) still thinks he is the baby of the house, and will tell you this is true, ("I the baby, I not a big boy."). But officially he is...he was fully potty trained just after Christmas, and loves going to Mother's Day Out 2x a week. Unfortunately, he went through a period of separation anxiety in January, right before he was supposed to start a new speech program. Being in a new environment for speech didn't help his anxiety at all, so we pulled him out, and will have him tested again in the fall. I am hoping he won't need speech at all...his MDO teacher say he communicates very well, speaks in full sentences, and interacts with his other classmates. We will just have to wait and see. Gabriel is in love with Elmo, Blues, Clues, and is constantly singing in the van along with the radio. He tries very hard to keep up with all the other kids, and just learned how to pedal a tricycle. The girls dote on him...sometimes too much, but he certainly doesn't lack for attention around here.
I have our summer nearly all planned out. Swim team for May and most of June, and VBS the last week of that month. Then a math camp for Joshua, a cooking camp for the girls, and a trip to Dallas in July. The last week of July, the girls will have Choir Camp, and Joshua has a science camp (otherwise he will be bored at home with no sisters to harrass. ;-) In August, we will head up to Wisconsin for the 2010 CCL Convention in Green Lake with plans to stop in Mansfield, Missouri to vist the Laura Ingalls Wilder Historical House and Museum, and visit with relatives on David's side of the family (in Wisconsin and Chicago). Our 10-year-old van has 112,000 miles (and counting!) miles on it, and just had a major transmisson overhaul last month. I hope it makes the trip and back!
I think that is enough for now. I will be one busy bee this week, getting ready for family coming into town for Rebecca's First Communion. Here's praying I won't stress too much, or cry too much on Sunday!
No comments:
Post a Comment