Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Real Life Olympian

About a month ago, Rebecca came home from school and said,

"Mommy, Mommy, we have to watch Chad on TV!"

"Um, okay, but who's Chad?"

"We have to watch Ms. Hedrick's brother skate!"

"Rebecca, WHAT in the world are you talking about?"

At this point, I feel like I should know what she's talking about, but since I don't, I can feel an invisible "C" for "clueless" slowly emerging from my forehead. 

Rebecca took a deep breath, clearly exasperated with her clueless mother and said,

"Mommy, Chad Hedrick is Ms. Hedrick's brother, and he's skating at the Olympics!  So we have to watch him on TV and cheer for him!"

"Ohhhh....okay, I understand now." 

It takes me a while to figure these things out you know. ;-)

Now to help you all understand.  Natalie Hedrick is Chad Hedrick's sister.  She is also Rebecca's second grade teacher.  Ms. Hedrick had been telling her students all about her brother, Chad, whom you all know, is an Olympic speed skater.  His parents own Champions Rollerworld just a couple of blocks from the kids' school.  I'd seen the pictures on display at the roller rink and heard about Chad the few times we'd gone skating, but hadn't put two and two together.

Like I said...it can take me a while to catch on.

It didn't take long for Rebecca to develop Chad Hedrick frenzy...I am pretty sure her entire class was the same way.  Ms. Hedrick was gone for 2 weeks during last month's Winter Olympics in Vancouver, and told the class all about it when she got back.

Once the Olympics are over, Rebecca calms down...a little. 

But then on our way to choir practice Thursday night, we see the marquee outside Strack's Farm Restaurant.  It says Chad Hedrick will be there Saturday to sign autographs.  Well of course, Rebecca just HAS to go. 

We got there just before 6:00 PM, and thankfully, there was hardly a line at all.  We got pictures with Ms. Hedrick and her niece, Hadley (Chad Hedrick's little girl), which thrilled Rebecca to no end.

Then we got Chad's autograph, AND a picture with him too.  Rebecca was over the moon. :-)  I think Christina was in awe, but she is much shyer than her big sister, so she just smiled for the camera.
 
On the way home, Rebecca said,

"Wow, I can't believe I actually got to meet Chad Hedrick!"

I said, "I'm happy for you Rebecca, are you going to calm down now?"

"Yes, Mommy!"

We'll see how long that lasts. ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Tell Rebecca Chad just bought a house down the street from us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha...I won't tell her yet. I'll wait until the Olympic fever is gone. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberly,
    You have no idea how strongly Chad feels about giving back to the kids. No doubt he will be reading this eventually... or his wife will... and you'll hear just how this makes him greatful!
    Mary Lu Wehmeier
    Old skating judge... who's known Chad since he was knee high....

    ReplyDelete