I've decided to follow McMama's example and do a "Not me Monday" post. I'm not sure how this will go, but since the past week has been so nuts, I figured I'd give it a shot.
First of all, I did not develop a horrid cough and wait 2 weeks to go see the doctor until last Monday. He told me my lungs were a mess, gave me prescriptions for 3 different medications, and orders to back on Wednesday for a pulmonary breathing test to check for asthma. I told him I certainly did NOT have asthma (after all, I had just done the March of Dimes Walk the day before without a problem), but he gave me a stern look and said,
"I want to make sure you don't have asthma, and I'll see you back here on Wednesday!"
(Of course, I obeyed doctor's orders, went back on Wednesday, and was told I had a bad case of bronchitis--not asthma. I was given yet another medication--an inhaler, and sent home).
I will never, ever wait 2 weeks to go see the doctor again, since I am STILL coughing just a bit, and probably made everyone nervous in church yesterday. We've got this swine flu scare going around, and I'll bet people wanted to avoid me like the plague.
Nope, Not Me!
I did not get all upset on Saturday when we found out the kids' school would be closed for 2 WEEKS because there was a "probable" case of the swine flu at their school. Not confirmed mind you, "a probable case." Even when we got an email today from Christina's preschool asking us to keep her home as well, since her siblings' school was closed and to limit exposure to the rest of her classmates, I held back my tears. I was praying they would still have a Mother's Day Lunch with Christina and any other children who would miss it; because it's my absolute favorite event every year...my special time with my sweet little girl, who will make a placemat, craft, and lunch for me, sit next to Mommy while I smile proudly, but secretly grieve over the fact she'll start kindergarten this fall.
Nope, Not Me!
(I did get an email from my friend Katie later on, saying the preschool staff would likely have a lunch for the kids who would miss the Mother's Day Lunch...so I managed to stop crying and breathe a huge sigh of hopeful relief).
I did not sit down after the kids were in bed last night, and make a list of all the things we were going to do for the next 2 weeks (not including swim lessons, swim team practice, playgroup, a jaunt to the library and Daddy's new office):
* Pick the green beans in the garden (which we've already done this AM, nearly 4 pounds!).
* Pull up the largest leeks, scallions, and onions from the garden, clean, blanch, and freeze them for later.
* Clean out all the junk from their rooms (although I daresay I'll have better luck and throw away more stuff once they go back to school).
* Take a day to visit the Museum of Natural Science (I'll bet there won't be any crowds during the week). Heck, maybe we should go down to the Space Center in Clear Lake :-).
* Work with Rebecca on all the craft kits she got for her birthday, her Marian lantern, and the assignments she missed from Formation Class.
* Definitely take one day to pull out the finger paints, play-dough, and stamp art kits, spread them all out on the kitchen table, and let the kids have at it (all the while not thinking about how long it's going to take me to clean the mess up afterwards. It's not great being a recovering neat freak you know!).
I did not think about how I'm going to steal Easter candy from the kids' bags in the pantry, because now I might have to wait until they're either all outside playing or asleep for the night. Never mind the fact I've eaten WAY too much of it lately, and I haven't even started on the solid milk chocolate bunny David got for me.
Nope, not Me!
I definitely did not let all the kids pile into our bed this morning. They immediately asked if they could watch TV or play on the computer. Of course I said, "NO"! because I firmly believe too much TV and computer will turn my kids' brains into complete mush. We're going to find constructive, educational activities and spend the next 2 weeks cramming as much academic knowledge into their heads as possible, right?
Nope, not Me!
No comments:
Post a Comment