Thursday, April 2, 2009

First Rose

I always feel like spring has its firm grasp here when the roses start to bloom in our front yard. David spend several weeks building the rose bed, (about a year after we moved into the house) tilling in quality soil, laying in irrigation lines, and planting 6 bushes. I was slightly annoyed at having to hear a rotor tiller going full blast for 3 days, but I must say, it was worth the headache.

My favorite is the lavender bush, which David planted at my request, since purple is my favorite color. Yesterday, the first bud started to open up.

I admit it...I love having roses growing right outside my front door. I can go get one whenever I want...it's like a little love note from my hubby every time.

1 comment:

  1. Roses are my favorite flower. I had many roses - all planted by me - at our home in Fargo. You can plant almost any variety in your zone, which I would love to do. However, I've had great success with Morden varieties and they can withstand the harshest winter ND can dish out.

    I have a blank slate again this Spring and can't wait to get going. Have to wait for the 15 inches of snow to disappear, though....

    ReplyDelete